Since then, CESSDA has been organised as a limited company under Norwegian law. Furthermore, CESSDA was recognised as an ESFRI Landmark in the ESFRI 2016 Roadmap in the field of social and cultural innovation. CESSDA is owned and financed by the individual member states’ ministry of research or a delegated institution. Norway is hosting CESSDA, and the main office is located in Bergen.
Its main activities are:
- coordination of the network of European data service providers and promotion of the results of social sciences;
- facilitating researcher access to important resources of relevance to the European social science research agenda regardless of the location of either researcher or data;
- work continuously to include further data sources from Europe and beyond, into the infrastructure;
- provide training within CESSDA and beyond on best practices surrounding operational processes and data management;
- promote and facilitate wider participation in CESSDA;
- the development and coordination of standards, protocols and professional best practices pertaining to the preservation and dissemination of data and associated digital objects.