The follow-up to the CESSDA Expert Seminar 2018 will take place on Thursday 6 December 2018 from 09:00 – 13:00 in Berlin, Germany. It will be a side event at EDDI18 – 10th Annual European DDI User Conference.
General Information for attendees
What: practical session on Jenkins pipelines, Docker containers, Kubernetes clusters
When: Thursday 6 December, 09:00 – 13:00 (4 hours)
Where: DIW Berlin, Room 3.3.002A, (Joan-Robinson-Room)
Who: CES2018 participants; other members of CESSDA software development community (max. 15 attendees)
Prerequisites: Familiarity with Git and the Linux command line, Gmail account.
Overview of Content
Introductions and Overview
- Round table
- Recap of Jenkins - what is it and why use it?; basic features; fit with Technical Infrastructure.
- Jenkins files - what are they; using and editing Jenkins files.
- [Demo] - show some Jenkins jobs, what information do they contain?
- Recap of Docker - what is it and why use it?; basic features; fit with Technical Infrastructure.
- Docker files - what are they; using and editing Docker files.
- [Practical ] - how to build, run, and debug Docker containers; how to pull Docker images from Docker Hub and Google Container Registry; how to push Docker images to Google Container Registry
- Recap of Kubernetes - what is it and why use it?; basic features; fit with Technical Infrastructure.
- Kubernetes packages- what are they; using and editing Kubernetes packages.
- [Practical] - Create a Docker container image; Create a container cluster; Create a Kubernetes pod
- Jenkins pipelines - what are they; branches, triggering, monitoring and debugging; using Blue Ocean.
- [Practical] - Edit a Jenkins file; trigger and watch progress via Jenkins/Blue Ocean
Helm and Tiller
- Helm and Tiller - what are they; using Helm charts to manage Kubernetes packages.
- [Demo] - Using a Helm chart to deploy a Kubernetes cluster.
- Semantic Versioning: An example of good practice, for e.g. tagging Docker files https://semver.org
- YouTube GCP channel: https://www.youtube.com/googlecloudplatform
- GCP Qwiklabs: https://google-run.qwiklabs.com/home
- GCP Solutions Gallery: https://cloud.google.com/docs/tutorials#development_and_test
- GCP free trial: https://cloud.google.com/free/
- Minikube, a simple setup of a single node kubernetes cluster for development and testing purposes: http://kubernetes.io/docs/getting-started-guides/minikube/
The event is now fully booked.