CESSDA ERIC commits to European open science by joining the ‘coalition of the doers’
The Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives (CESSDA ERIC) endorses the principles of the European Open Science Cloud Declaration and commits to actively supporting the implementation of FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable) data.
These principles are the direct outcome of the first European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) summit, organised by the European Commission on 12 June 2017 in Brussels and attended by CESSDA. They deal with skills for reusing research data, incentives for sharing data, and how to implement and transition to FAIR data. They also emphasise the fundamental role of trusted data repositories in this regard.
“The EOSC principles are well aligned with CESSDA’s strategic ambitions and we welcome the opportunity to join the ‘coalition of the doers’”, stated Ron Dekker, Director of CESSDA. “We will be a leading provider of trainings covering the whole research cycle; we will drive innovative technological developments in the field of data science, and build up trust in data archives.”
“CESSDA is currently setting up a social science data platform. Within the ‘coalition of the doers’ of the EOSC, there is much that we can deliver”, Dekker added.
- provide a one-stop shop for search and discovery of datasets relevant to social science research through a joint product and service data catalogue;
- develop and provide tools for submitting and using data in a safe and secure way;
- train data owners and data users, including supporting training activities across European Research Infrastructure Consortia (ERIC);
- contribute to the implementation of FAIR principles – especially with regard to sensitive and confidential data;
- ensure trusted data repositories – by ensuring the acquirement of seals for data as well as data service organisations (such as the Data Seal of Approval/CoreTrustSeal);
- be a hub for our Service Providers and other professional organisations to share expertise and best practices.
On an organisational level, CESSDA is capable and willing to join the Governance Board and working committees, as well as be actively engaged in the annual stakeholder forum. CESSDA will also take part in the EOSC stakeholder engagement event in Brussels on 28-29 November.
 The EOSC Declaration will be published by the end of September by the European Commission.