Data discovery & use
Online / any
UK Data Service (UKDS)
Online workshop: Introduction to the Labour Force Survey and Annual Population Survey
This free half-day online workshop will give background information needed to work with the Labour Force Survey (LFS) and Annual Population Survey (APS) in research.
Would you like to know more about using the Labour Force Survey (LFS) and Annual Population Survey (APS) in research? The workshop will be led by experts from the Office for National Statistics and the UK Data Service. It will include presentations and practical sessions along with opportunities to ask questions and meet other LFS and APS users. Topics will include the survey design, methodological considerations when using the data, how to navigate the documentation and the contents and structure of available datasets.
By the end of the session, attendees will
- understand the survey design including sampling, methods of data collection and how the LFS has adapted due to COVID-19
- have an overview of the strengths and weaknesses of the LFS and APS as a source of data
- understand the different types of LFS/APS datasets available
- be able to navigate and use the LFS documentation
- know about using the weighting variables for different types of analysis
- be familiar with the structure and contents of the datasets
This online workshop includes a practical data analysis session led in SPSS. To participate in this part, participants will need to have access to a computer with SPSS (or PSPP) installed. We will try to provide equivalent materials for other software (either before or after the event), if you would be interested in receiving these, please indicate which package on the registration form.
The event starts at 10:30 CEST.